Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Importance of Exercise

I know, that dreaded word.... EXERCISE! It makes me cringe to say it, or even think it. I HATE exercising. It's exhausting and though they say it's supposed to release endorphins, that doesn't happen to me. After I exercise I find myself lying on the floor in a puddle of sweat wondering what just happened!

BUT, walking, now that's the way to do it! I go out my front door and walk around my neighborhood a few times. Sometimes I walk the loop twice just because it feels so good! I look up and see the mountains. In the mornings they are often touched with a pink tinge from the sun rising. The air is actually pink! It's the most beautiful thing to see. Even if I'm freezing, slipping and sliding around, seeing those gorgeous pink mountains puts everything into prospective for me.

Taken from the Unicity Newsletter this week:

"Walking requires little time and no equipment, and research has shown that walking (brisk or power walking) can be beneficial and effective to overall health.

The benefits of exercise vary from burning excess body fat to preventing conditions that are likely to diminish functional capacity, including obesity, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, stroke, and osteoporosis. In addition, recent studies have shown that a regular exercise program significantly improves mental capacity.

In fact, walking and other exercise leads to the release of the body’s natural happy drugs—endorphins. Many physicians recommend adding regular walking and exercise as a natural treatment to relieve a bout of depression."

So get out and walk! I promise, this will get those endorphins going and you'll feel better than ever!!

1 comment:

Nursing Class of December 2011 said...

You know I agree! I just have to add my two cents...I have recently begun a walking regimen to my days and I don't know WHAT I did to remain sane before! My low back always, since 13 years old, hurts me. But, when I go walk, it relaxes my hip muscles and my back feels 100% better! The other day I was an emotional wreck and I really didn't want to do my 3 miles. I went and am soooo glad that I did because my mindset did a 180 degree turnaround. I am a nursing student who listens every semester in at least one class about the benefits of exercise even if its just walking and just never could "find the time". I would always say to myself, "I know it would be good for me, I just don't have the energy, or time, or desire"...well, so much for that. I highly reccommend it to anyone who is considering it but still not sure!