Sunday, September 21, 2008

Great Books I've Read

I thought I would share with you guys a couple of really good books I've read. Either I read these lately, or they are the ones that I go back to again and again...



The first one is "Living the Good Life" by, Scott and Helen Nearing. This book is a wonderful book about a couple that choose to leave the fast paced life in the big city and set out on their own. They built a very prosperous farm up first in Vermont, then in Maine. These farms were not particularly prosperous in the conventional way. Scott and Helen were prosperous in that they had a wonderful roof over their head, that they built, and food in their tummies, that they grew! They were an amazing couple. My husband and I are striving for this type of life ourselves, but we do realize that we won't be wheel barrowing rocks around to build a house from scratch, or hand digging any ponds! I'm amazed at what this couple accomplished in their lives!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Another great book that I'm reading right now is "Eat, Pray, Love" by, Elizabeth Gilbert. This book is so funny and written in such a way that you feel like you're talking with a girl friend. She really has a way of making a story engaging. I encourage you all to read this book for your next snuggle-up-with-a-good-book-and-cup-of-tea day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



My all time favorite author is Dianna Gabaldon. Her books are like my old friends. I started reading them in high school. Every year I read her whole set about Jamie and Claire. I really do feel like I know these people personally. The wonderful thing about these books is that they include time travel! The books in this series are Outlander, Dragonfly In Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes. These are a MUST read for any gal out there that enjoys reading!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Another great author is Sara Donati. She writes beautiful novels about a time that I'm sure I was supposed to be born into. I think I was born a century or two too late! I love how she captures the time, the scenery and the people. The women in her books are very much like the women in Jane Austen's books. The strong women that are capable of doing anything they like! I love these books! The books included in the Wilderness series are Into the Wilderness, Dawn On A Distant Shore, Lake in the Clouds, Fire Along the Sky, Queen of Swords.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



And last for tonight is the author Jodi Picoult. The main thing that drew me to her was the fact that she has so many books out there! I won't read them all then pine for more, when there are no more. There will always be more! Her books are all different, so it's impossible to guess what she will have her heroines do. Really great reads!

Enjoy!







No comments: