Friday, September 19, 2008

Look at this egg!

This is the biggest egg I, or any of my family, have ever seen! I have an average sized hand and this egg FILLS my palm! It isn't really egg shaped, more like an oval. Someone said it looks like a potato! I assure you, it's an egg...




With this egg and a few others, I make a wonderful meal. My youngest tells people that his favorite food is Quiche! Of all things. I wonder how many 6 year olds even know what quiche is...

My quiche is made from farm fresh eggs, laid by my free range chickens. I use organic flour, organic vegetable shortening, sea salt, the best seasonings, sometimes fresh herbs, organic cream cheese, organic cheddar cheese, organic half and half, I'm sure you get the picture! I get my fruit from either our local Farmer's Market or our local Good Food Store (where they sell farm fresh organic fruit and veggies).



My recipe for Farm Fresh Quiche:

The Crust:
1 Cup of Organic unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
6 Tablespoons of Organic Vegetable shortening
6-12 Tablespoons of cold water

First mix the flour and salt well. Then add the shortening. Mix these together with a fork or two knives until the dough starts to form into pea sized chunks.
Then add the water. I add it slowly, so I don't put too much in. If you end up with too much water, your dough will be chewy instead of flaky.
After you add the water and the dough is well mixed, roll it out in a big enough round to fit the pie pan.
Grease the bottom of the pan and lay the dough in. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork a few times.

The Quiche:
6 large fresh eggs
1 Cup of Organic half and half
4-6 Tablespoons of Cream cheese, or Ricotta cheese, or Goat cheese (whatever you prefer!)
1 heaping Tablespoon of a good quality Italian Herb mix.
Here you can add fresh basil, rosemary, lavendar, ect. Add as much or as little of these as wish.
1 Cup of Spinach. I use the Organic frozen spinach, but fresh is great as well.

Mix these well with a mixer. Then pour the mixture into the pie crust. Put it in the oven at 400* for 45 minutes. Remove, allow to cool for a few minutes, cut and serve! It's really good with fresh fruit, especially Blue Berries!

Enoy!

No comments: